Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Major Update... oh yeah, I'M ENGAGED!

I held off on this update simply because my mom asked me to, so she could tell our relatives that I'M ENGAGED!!!
My future husband!
(just call him fabio)

Stephen just visited me over the weekend in Vancouver. We tried on a lot of hats and glasses. I have been trying to get Stephen to appreciate hats, I found one super sexy one but it was way too small. We saw a 3D movie at an Imax theater and I took a pic of us sporting 3D glasses. Finding the Imax theater was harder than shopping at the Bay.

Another time at lunch I tried on Steve's sunglasses
And he tried on mine. I think he looks better wearing mine than I do his.

The first one where Steve looks ridiculous, was an amazing pair of old $10 prescription glasses we found in a bucket of assorted prescription pairs at one of my favourite vintage stores in Vancouver. The glass was so thick that when you held the glasses you could see the light refracting through the lenses... They were like... Peter Parker... I tried them on too, so to be fair:

ugh

I wasn't even wearing any makeup and Steve picked out the plaid headband to complete the look.

Anyway, I've been telling my friends about my engagement, and mom's after the relatives, and as expected, everyone's first question is WHEN is the wedding? Well, I appreciate everyone being excited for Stephen and I and we get that no one wants any conflicts with their next tropical cruise, but as I write this I've been engaged for 2 days and from now until mid November I won't even be living in the same province as my fiancee! We're (at least I'm) so so so SO busy right now, (having just finished 2 vacations, looking for a new job, preparing to move, doing volunteer work, designing and making a bag that I submitted to a charity gala, trying stay caught up at work) and it's a little tough to plan a wedding over the phone. So when I get back to Toronto (mid to late November), Stephen and I will start planning. As soon as we have a date we will be sure to let everyone know and probably will start up a wedding website or blog so people can receive updates. Until then, visions of satin and tulle dance in my head.... It's weird, since I've become engaged I've been feeling bubbly and girly, thinking about my dress and getting excited- I didn't ever think I'd be like this, I guess I didn't realise how exciting it is to be 'getting married'! Stephen and me often talk about mariage, the future and being together, but... it's different when it really starts to happen... It feels like... I undestand little girls who look forward to their wedding.... very weird. To be fair, a TENTATIVE date would be end of summer/early fall 2009... at the earliest.... I like warm weather... and we'll need at least a year to plan/book stuff.

Here is a picture Stephen took of English Bay

Here is a yummy bananna + nutella crepe that Steve ordered at Cafe Crepe. We went there 3 times this weekend!! Yum
*
Ok, the way it all went down: (the proposal)
As some of you may or may not have heard, I have recently become very inspired to pursue my interest in fashion design as a career option. I'm thinking it over long n' hard.... I volunteered at BC Fashion week recently and designed a purse for the Design Exchance in Toronto. So I'm trying it out, learning what I can. Thinking of going back to school in the future MAYBE. Anyway, this has led to more and more 'future' and 'life' talk with Stephen. We often talk about our future together but this time it's gotten around to us really needing to make some descisions together and me wanting to know what he thinks about it all... I did pick up and fly out to Vancouver for my current job, and our industry (animation/art) really isn't going to make it easy for us to always find work in the same cities.
I was getting around to asking about this again while falling asleep with Stephen in our B n B on the weekend. (http://www.balfour-vancouver.com/) I was basically telling him that I wouldn't like to do anything to jeopordise our relationship (as far as the going back to school thing) and asking would he like for me/us to try to live in the same city more often in the future... Stephen turned away, and he came back with a ring from a keychain and told me that he would very much like to live with me for the rest of his life. I didn't expect that I would cry when I was proposed to, but I did... This keychain ring was waaaay too big, obviously a temporary solution, but he had it ready because the ring he really wanted to give me took him a very long time to find and it isn't ready yet - (It's on order now.) and he wasn't even sure if he would propose this weekend or not- he just wanted to wait until the right moment to ask, and the moment came before the ring. We bought a simple silver necklace for me the following day and I have the keychain ring strung on that around my neck.
Stephen did a lot of research of the history of diamonds and rings before deciding on what he wanted to get for me. He knew he wanted something unique, and was interested in the idea of getting me a ring with my birthstone as the main jewel. (Aquamarine) He learned that it was during the 50's that the diamond became the popular choice of jewel to go into an engagement ring, an idea purported greatly by De Beers due to diamonds being strong, long lasting and very valuable. It is a good symbol for what a marriage should be. Anyway, he ended up choosing an Edwardian style ring with an Aquamarine and 6 little diamonds, 3 on either side. (the number 6 on an engagement ring has been known to represent the two families coming together, the couple and 2 sets of parents.) I think it looks beautiful, and I am excited to wear it.
(I'LL POSE A PIC OF THE RING SOON! I need to turn it into a jpg at home, so check back)

And here's the purse I made. I handmade and dyed the felt that it's made of, the inside is hand quilted green silky fabric, and the handle is a vintage bed necklace I found in Vancouver. I had to hand sew the whole thing since I don't have a sewing machine here.

Where I submitted it: The Design Exchange in Toronto. Their website: http://www.dx.org/. Check out the 'Feel This' link for info about the gala and VIP dinner and how to get your mitts on my bag.
A very cute and flubby frumpy little frog we saw at the aquarium

For the ladies; a nest of hissing cockroaches!!

Here is a picture of me after Steve and I saw the aquarium (http://www.vanaqua.org/home/).

Here are some other older pictures that I promised I would post, mostly from when mom was here vacationing with me:
Mom at ye olde chocolate shoppe (I thought it was so cute here, even the cashier was adorable and fit right in with the old shop
Cottoncakes! The most freaking adorable thing, knitted cupcakes!!

Crazy trees in front of The Empress Hotel on Vancouver Island

A beautiful flower that looks like a painting
Mom is getting used to dressing up and having her picture taken! Now she is a sexy vixen working the camera.

Here we are, getting crazy with taking pictures. We've just gotten back from a tasty dinner at Sanafir (http://www.sanafir.ca/) and we're still all done up.
A very beautiful sky.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAH mah gawd! CONGRATS ANDREA!!!!! That's so wonderful! And these pictures are so awesome, I wanna go to that chocolate shop but more important, you're engaged!!! Hurraay! Congrats to Steve too, I'll bet your wedding is gonna be super stylish! Oh yes, and I still need to respond to your email, hehehe, I'll write you back tomorrow at work, hurray! Congrats again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Andrea!!! Fantastic news! Im very happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks guys! I'm excited, and I'm excited to be heading back to the t-dot soon as well...

    ReplyDelete