Sunday, September 09, 2007

Facebook!!!?

Please watch the video found on this site about Facebook:
http://www.albumoftheday.com/facebook/
It talks about how putting information on facebook gives facebook the right to use and redistribute this information in any way, and that they have the right to give your information to third parties. So bascially they can use and profit from any information you post on the site. It is funded by numerous sources, including the US government. A group known as the Information Awareness Office, connected to the funders of Facebook, has the purpose of collecting as much information about as many people as possible in a centralized location. Facebook also collects information about members from other sources, e.g. newspapers and magazines, regardless of a members use of the site.

What do you think????? I'm not really sure what to think, I want to join facebook but I've held off for reasons like this.... plus.... I'm not really an online personality.... I hate that feeling when you get online and suddenly you realise hours have passed and you didn't really mean for that to happen.... I also don't like to share a whole lot of information about myself online, it just feels too scary for people to easily access a ton of information about you...

But I feel like I'm missing out since so so many of my friends have signed up and they all keep in contact that way and even invite each other to events, all through facebook. So I don't get invited to things now that I'm not part of facebook? I have an e-mail address....

The people I talk to about this sort of thing, usually they say "so?". They don't care if the site has the ability to use their information and pass it on to third parties. It just feels like Facebook uses it's members.... and that doesn't seem cool to me....

Think I'll get back to work and go inline skating....

1 comment:

  1. theres an information privacy option that these docu. dont talk about. But even without that its completly your choice about what information you put up there. I dont mind that the american govt knows that I like Scott Pilgrim and am a cancer. These are all things they could easily find out about me anyways from any other online source. Dont let the haters hold you back, goverment conspiracy is for whackjobs and hippies. Join facebook, join us!!!!!

    ReplyDelete